Weekend Recap: #ECNLPHX
PHOENIX, AZ (November 17, 2014) – It was cool and windy for the final day of the ECNL National Event at Reach 11 Sports Complex but the soccer was still competitive. Below are recaps of some notable matchups.
SLSG MO ECNL U16 vs Concorde Fire ECNL U16
- SLSG MO came out on top, 2-0. SLSG MO controlled play from the opening whistle to complete a perfect 3-0-0 weekend.
- Midfielder Sydney Gorman started the scoring just 10 minutes into the match when her volley off a short corner found the back of the net.
- No. 19 Concorde’s best chance came 15 minutes after halftime when a header off a corner kick forced a save from SLSG keeper Kayley Jones.
- SLSG put the match away five minutes later through forward Kayleigh Stahlschmidt, who stole a back pass to the keeper and dribbled in for the easy finish.
- Concorde finished the event with a record of 0-2-1.
Heat FC ECNL U17 vs Charlotte Soccer Academy ECNL U17
- Heat FC came out on top 2-1. The Heat managed to salvage a win on the final day of the event with a one-goal win over Charlotte. Early pressure from the Heat resulted in a goal just past the half-hour mark from forward Ronni Atejo, who rifled a shot past the outstretched arms of the keeper from 20 yards away.
- Charlotte, which finished a trio of one-goal losses on the weekend, equalized seconds before halftime through forward Emily Nelson’s goal into the side netting. However, Heat FC grabbed the match-winner a couple of minutes after the hour mark.
- University of Wyoming commit and midfielder Summer Taube settled a cross inside the box and beat the keeper to the short side for the winner. The closest Charlotte came to finding a late equalizer was a curled shot over the bar five minutes from the final whistle.
Vardar ECNL U15 vs MVLA ECNL U15
- A spirited back-and-forth affair ended in a 2-2 tie, assuring Vardar two points and MVLA one point for the weekend.
- MVLA took the lead seven minutes into the match following a mistimed header from Vardar, which fell to the feet of midfielder Laura Carceroni for the easy finish.
- Vardar erased the lead nine minutes later when midfielder Mya Fregoli played a perfect through ball to forward Rachel Rasins, who was in behind the defense and calmly slotted home.
- MVLA regained the lead before halftime with one of the goals of the tournament.
- Defender Paris Fox’s venomous free kick from 35 yards out on the left hash bounced once then past the keeper to the far post for the advantage.
- Vardar wouldn’t let the golazo stand up, though, and equalized 15 minute from full time with a free kick goal of its own that bounced around the box and by the keeper.
November 17, 2014 by Danny Shapiro, TopDrawerSoccer.com
About Elite Clubs National League: The Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) was founded in 2009 to enhance the developmental experience of female youth soccer players in the United States through: (i) Improving the competitive environment through creation of a true national competitive league; (ii) Improving the process for identifying elite female soccer players for the U.S. Soccer youth national teams through a systematic scouting and identification program based on national competitions; and (iii) improving the daily training environment at top female youth soccer clubs through developing best practices and training and organizational guidelines for its member clubs. The ECNL is sanctioned by US Club Soccer and is sponsored by Nike Soccer.